For a variety of reasons, not – the – least, of which, in a large amount of advertising, promotion, and media attention, nearly, all of us, are familiar, with the term, smart home products! Depending, on your needs, priorities, and personal preferences, some of these, maybe more valuable, and meaningful, personally, to you, than others! Some of these items include voice-activated devices; remote cameras/ video doorbells; robotic vacuums; smart thermostat; the convenience of having a central – hub, etc. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, these 5 examples, briefly explain them (provide an overview), and attempt to, evaluate, advantages and potential disadvantages, and why (or why, not), they may be for you (or, not).
1. Voice-activated devices: Most of us, by – now, are somewhat – familiar, with some of the more popular, voice-activated devices, especially, those, on mobile devices, etc. Some are applications, on smartphones, while others include a variety of stand-alone, devices. Quite, a bit, include, day-to-day, items, which most, give very – little, attention, to, but, some seem to have greater functionality! Many things, from giving, simple instructions, asking questions, getting directions, etc, to, safety-related functions, and controls, for one’s security, thermostat, and smoke – detection, systems, are more – easily, obtained, using these technologies. Although convenient, it sometimes, becomes frustrating, when instructions, you give, orally, aren’t, apparently, articulated (by you), clearly – enough, to obtain information!
2. Remote cameras; Video doorbells: In today’s world, and with the apparent, uptick, in criminal activities, including, many home-related crimes, doesn’t make sense, to have some degree of additional protection, for the safety, and well-being, as well as peace – of – mind, for you, and your family? There are several versions of remote cameras, from very sophisticated (and, costly), to more- basic, exist, Obviously, there are certain advantages/conveniences, from these devices, but, also, they cause, additional maintenance costs, and, if, hacked, potential security risks!
3. Robotic vacuums: Robotic vacuums have proven, to be, desirable, convenient, too many! Do we need them, and do they, make lives, simpler? Are, they, as valuable, and do, they do, as good, a job, as conventional ones? There appear to be certain obstacles, to using these, including cleaning stairs, and/ or, multi-level homes; using with pets, and/ or, small children; and, some differences, of opinions, regarding, quality, and/ or, effectiveness!
4. Smart thermostat: When one uses, a Smart Thermostat, he is capable of controlling temperatures, remotely! How important is this, to you, and does it justify, their higher prices, etc? Is a setback one, sufficient, for your needs? Like any, other, remote device, using these, potentially, exposes you, to security-related, risks!
5. Central hub: One thing, which many like, is referred to, as a Central Hub. With, these, one can identify, and more – easily, simplify, analyze, issues, which may present themselves, earlier, and more distinctly! They, also, let you, change settings (including, temperatures, alarms, etc), from one, central location. While, certainly, potentially, convenient, what happens, when/ if, there is some issue/ fault/ error, at this hub?
Smart devices, for your home, are here, and are, here – to – stay. There are many of them, and, no – doubt, will be, many more (and better/ more sophisticated ones), in the somewhat – near – future! How interested are you, in some of these features, and why would you (or not), be willing, to pay to purchase, them?